Membership is $45.00 (non refundable) plus a membership to Pickleball Ontario/Canada $20, for insurance and much more. This process is a one stop, one payment, completed on the Pickleball Canada website. JOIN HERE
Tecumseh Pickleball Association Membership (TPA) includes access to 2 Locations
- The Royal Canadian Legion #261 Open Jan.- Dec.
2 indoor courts, 12326 Lanoue St., Tecumseh. For more information and rental fee.
- Zekelman Pickleball Complex Open April - Nov.
10 NEW outdoor courts, at 590 Lacasse Blvd., Lacasse Park, Tecumseh
Key Beginning in April, in order to purchase a KEY for play outside of TPA time slots, show your 2022 TPA membership card at the Tecumseh Arena for a discounted key rate of $15 (reg. $30). This will give you access to additional time at the Zekelman Pickleball Complex and Shawanoe Park.
Tecumseh Pickleball Association (TPA) Membership includes:
- 10 NEW outdoor courts at the Zekelman Pickleball Complex
- Organized Play: Competitive and Recreational for all levels
- Ability to reserve your own court times through Global Pickleball Network Click here to join Global Pickleball Registration
Play Time Slots 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Monday-Saturday
6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, & Thursday
Discounts on tournaments, lessons, boot camps, drill clinics, socials, etc. …
In-house tournaments throughout the summer
Access to renting a ball machine
Teaching court for tips-coaching to enhance your level
2 practice walls by the TPA Clubhouse
Junior Membership (Grades 7-12)
Your TPA Membership also includes access to 2 indoor courts for reservations all year at The Royal Canadian Legion **Click here.
The Benefits of Being a Pickleball Ontario / Canada Member Insurance, Coaching, Refereeing and Player Development , Tournaments Clinics & Demo Days and more. *
Beginner Lessons There currently is a wait list for Indoor or outdoor Beginner lessons. To be added to the email for updates, email firstname.lastname@example.org State if you are available during the daytime or evenings.
Rules of Play
- When you book court time on Global Pickleball Network (All players must be members).
- You will receive a link to GPN when you join TPA.
- Social distancing rules remain
TPA will communicate changes asap in 3 ways: email, Facebook, GPN and on our website. The TPA executive reserves the right to change court rules. The Town has the right to limit the number within the gated area @ Shawanoe and Zekelman Pickleball Complex. 2 metre social distancing is always required. Bring your own ball. Sanitize regularly.
Information on how to rate yourself:
Note: Above the 2.0 level, all levels should be able to demonstrate most of the skills for their level plus most of the skills from preceding levels. Thus a 2.5 level player, for example, demonstrates most skills in the 2.5 level list as well as most skills in the 2.0 level list, and so on.
- 2.0 Skill Level
- Moves in a balanced and safe manner
- Getting at least 50% of serves in the service court and returning 50% of serves
- Are learning where to stand on court during serves, returns and point play but are still not comfortable with some positions
- Knows the two bounce rule and applies it during games
- Can keep score comfortably
- Will have basic ground strokes with a very limited use of backhand, overhead, and volley
- Capable of keeping ball in play for a couple of shots.
- 2.5 Skill Level
- Knows the basic rules including the “two bounce rule”, scoring
- Attempting to control forehand groundstroke (direction, depth, height over net)
- Attempting backhand groundstroke
- Getting 60% of serves in the service court and returning 60% of serve returns
- Knows where to stand as the server, server’s partner, and receiver
- Consistently Approaches the non-volley line for volleys
- Can keep the ball in play for longer lasting rallies
- Sometimes lobs with forehand
- Attempting to dink the ball at the net, can do so for short durations
- Moves in a safe and balanced manner
- Developing good hand-eye coordination.
- 3.0 Skill Level
- Knows basic rules including how to keep score
- Developing control on forehand groundstroke (placement, direction, depth)
- Developing control on backhand groundstroke (placement, direction, depth)
- Getting 70% of serves and return of serves “in”
- Striving to place serves deep into the court
- Beginning to develop placement of serves
- Uses deeper and higher returns of serve to allow time to approach the net
- Approaches the non-volley line quickly rather than staying back
- Sustains a short volley session at the net
- Exhibits correct court positioning for doubles and how to “move as a team”
- Beginning to use the forehand lob with some success
- Developing a sustained “dink” exchange at the net
- Attempting to hit a soft ”drop shot” to approach the net (3rd, 5th, etc shot)
- Attempting to adjust to differing ball speeds (hitting & returning)
- Has good mobility
- Developing good hand-eye coordination.
- 3.5 Skill Level
- Knows all the main rules including how to refigure the score and correct server
- Demonstrates control on forehand groundstroke (direction, depth and pace)
- Demonstrates some control on backhand groundstroke (direction, depth and pace)
- Getting 80% of serves and return of serves “in”
- Regularly placing serves deep into the court
- Regularly uses deeper & higher returns of serve to allow time to approach net
- Approaches the non-volley line quickly (when appropriate) rather than staying back
- Able to play with partners effectively
- Beginning to use court strategies such as partner communication and team coverage of court
- Avoids hitting “out” balls
- Hitting the ball lower over the net consistently
- Developing a wide variety of shots with some consistency
- Learning when to use soft shots vs. power shots to their advantage
- Developing consistency on shot placement, including ability to create and hit “gaps”
- Sustains a short volley session at the net with some control and placement
- Initiates and maintains a sustained “dink” exchange at the net
- Able to execute a soft ”drop shot” to approach the net (3rd, 5th, etc shot)
- Able to adjust to differing ball speeds consistently
- Developing ability to hit overheads with control
- Using a forehand and backhand lob when appropriate
- Developing patience in rallies
- Has good mobility
- Has good quickness
- Has good hand-eye coordination.
- 4.0 Skill Level
- Controls and places 90% of both serves and returns of serves
- Consistent and dependable forehand and backhand groundstrokes, including directional control, depth, placement and pace
- Consistent and dependable volleys, including some directional control, depth, placement and pace
- Consistent and dependable overheads, including some directional control, depth, placement and pace
- Has good accuracy in placing lobs
- Consistently makes successful ”drop shots” from the back court to approach the net (3rd, 5th, etc shot
- Regularly initiating and sustaining a “dink” exchange at the net until a “put away” shot is received
- Able to change from a soft shot strategy to a hard shot strategy, and vice versa
- Can block and return hard volleys
- Developing the ability to return overheads hit at their feet
- Can handle speed on shots without over-hitting or hitting out of bounds
- Moves effectively with partner, easily switching courts and communicating when required
- Can control play at the non-volley zone line, keeping their opponents back, driving them off the line and controlling the speed or placement of the ball
- Consistently uses shots to create and hit “gaps”
- Recognizes and exploits the weaknesses in their opponent’s game
- Can poach effectively
- 4.5 and 5.0 Skill Level
- The 4.5 player is distinguished from the 4.0 player by increased skills, a higher level of strategy, quickness of hands, judicious use of power, superior placement of shots and consistently fewer unforced errors
- The 5.0 player is even more consistent in all skills than the 4.5 player with very few, if any, unforced errors. > All players are encouraged to familiarize themselves with these skills. Whether it is to identify the skills they already have or those they need to achieve the next level.